February 19, 2014

English Muffin Bread

Okay, so this is the first yeast bread recipe I feel comfortable posting!  I have made a couple, no several, no probably over 10 different bread recipes looking for the perfects ones.  

Like I said in an earlier post, I would like different recipes that satisfy the need for a good sandwich bread, good bread for toast, a good whole wheat bread, etc.  (Most of the breads that I have tried, while delicious, are often crumbly) Well this is a good toast bread! The bread is tasty anytime, but the best way to eat this bread is really toasted topped with your favorite butter (and maybe a little honey, sometimes!).  

The only drawback to this recipe is that it makes four loaves at a time. How is this a drawback? Well, I only have two loaf pans! :D So what I did, and you can see this in the picture below...is that I separated the dough into four like the recipe calls for.  Then the two balls that I couldn't bake right away, I wrapped in plastic wrap, set them side-by-side in a square glass baking pan, and put it in the freezer to be baked later. Well, well, well, what do you know. The yeast was so active, the bread rose in the freezer before it froze.  One of the loaves grew so fast, that it broke through the plastic wrap freezing in a bubble above the pan! I opened the freezer and started to laugh when I saw it. (When I did bake those two loaves later, they turned out just fine, though I might just buy two more loaf pans to make this a smoother process for next time :D)

Whoops!
English Muffin Bread:
(recipe mostly reproduced from onegoodthingbyjillee)

Ingredients:
  • 5 1/2 cups warm water
  • 3 packages rapid rise yeast
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 11 cups flour
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. Divide dough into four parts, and place in four different greased loaf pans.
  3. Let rise in pans until dough reaches top of pans.
  4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
  5. 10 minutes before taking out of the oven, brush with melted butter.
  6. Allow to cool before slicing!
Notes:
  • For nice step by step pictures, click the link for the original recipe!
  • You can use regular yeast, you just need to let the dough rise twice.
  • Original author of recipe says to use either all-purpose flour or bread flour.  I have so far only used all-purpose and it is great!



See you in the kitchen,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment