February 21, 2014

Mom's Apple Pie

So I spent my first Valentine's Day with my husband.  We kept things simple - supper by candlelight (yes!) with his favorite treat for dessert afterward.  

My mother makes the BEST apple pie.  Throughout the entirety of my courtship with my now husband, every time my mom saw him, she would have a warm apple pie for him.  What a mother! :D 

Mom and Me
Well, it quickly became his favorite dessert.  So when I asked him what he would like for dessert, he said of course apple pie.  Now, there is something special about a mom's touch in the kitchen, so I am still working on perfecting her pie.  Nonetheless, it is delicious! And quite simple.  An apple pie for everyone! So I hope you enjoy courtesy of my wonderful mom!   

Mom's Apple Pie:

Ingredients:
  • 2 pie crusts (1 for the bottom, 1 for the top)
  • 6-8 apples, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Minute Tapioca
  • 1 tsp cinnamon 
  • Dash of salt
  • 2-4 tablespoons of butter
Directions:
  1. Put crust in pie pan.
  2. Mix together apples, sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. Let sit for five minutes. 
  4. Place apple mixture into pie pan.
  5. Slice the butter into 4-5 pieces and place on top of apples.
  6. Then add top crust - seal.
  7. Brush with milk or cream, then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top.
  8. Cut small slits in top.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.
Notes:
  • Use your favorite pie crust recipe or just buy the store-brand frozen dough (that's what I usually use!).
  • Substitute flour or cornstarch if you don't have the tapioca on hand.
  • Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream! Yum!

*The pictures below were not taken for the same pie! I have different pictures at different steps.









See you in the kitchen!

Katie

1 comment:

  1. awe Katie you are so sweet, I am glad that you like my pie, Let's make one next time we are together. I enjoy making it for you and Charli. Love you - mom.

    ReplyDelete