February 5, 2014

Oatmeal

So I haven't been posting recently...I have been rather busy with not being busy...Right now I should be working on updating my resume as I apply for jobs...however I discovered a thing called Swagbucks which I might post about later.

I am a breakfast person. I need breakfast in the morning to sustain me throughout the day.

Oatmeal. Oatmeal. Oatmeal. 

Every morning.

This is how I like my oatmeal :D
Though I do like different types of oats as well!

Oatmeal for Breakfast

Ingredients:
  • Traditional whole oats
  • Water
  • Salt
  • "Add-ins"
    • Cinnamon
    • Ground flax seed
    • Brown sugar
    • Nuts (peanuts, walnuts, pecans)
    • Fruit (chopped apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches, etc.)
    • Milk
Directions:
  1. For one serving: Boil 1 cup water with a light sprinkling of salt (~1/8 teaspoon).
  2. Stir in 1/2 cup of oats and reduce heat to medium.
  3. Cook for five minutes.
  4. Transfer to bowl to be used and mix in all other ingredients.
Notes:
  • I prefer to use the stove-top when cooking my oatmeal - too many times in the microwave, the water boils over the sides making a mess.  But once you learn how your certain oats react with different temperatures and times, use whatever method is easier!
  • There are many nutritional benefits associated with cinnamon and flax seed.  Cinnamon may have antioxidant benefits and just adds delicious flavor.  Flax seeds are credited with containing omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans, and fiber.  Just make sure you use ground flax seeds, its hard shell makes it harder for your body to break down and absorb its benefits (I grind the flax seed in my Magic Bullet).
  • Nuts and fruit provide more texture to your bowl and milk is necessary for me!
  • Tip - to make preparing your oatmeal quicker - I chop up the fruit (especially the apples) in larger quantities and just store it in the fridge until the next mornings.  




See you in the kitchen!

Katie

1 comment:

  1. The oatmeal is very tasty fixed like that. Add some strawberries too, or some Greek Yogurt after you cook the oats. Love the pictures ! MOM.

    ReplyDelete