February 19, 2014

Chocolate Pudding (Or Vanilla!)

My dad and brother were visiting over President's Day weekend to go skiing! We went to Powder Mountain outside of Ogden, Utah and it was wonderful! Snow was a little crunchy and icy, but it was my 2nd time out this season! And I got to spend it with some family.  It was wonderful.  




After a long day on the slopes, my husband and I cooked supper for the two of them.  As a special treat, I made chocolate pudding and of course whipped up some cream to top it with! This actually is one of my dad's favorite treats.  My mom has been making this chocolate pudding for as long as I can remember.  When my dad was off his legs for a good several weeks after a knee surgery, I probably made this for him every other day! Such a comfort!

Chocolate Pudding:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:
  1. Separate egg yolks into a glass bowl, set aside momentarily.
  2. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cocoa in saucepan.
  3. Stir in milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly (burns quickly).
  4. When it starts to boil, let boil for one minute.
  5. Gently pour a small portion of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks and stir together letting the hot mixture cook the egg yolks.
  6. Pour this now back into the saucepan and let boil for one more minute.
  7. Remove from heat.
  8. Stir in butter and vanilla.
Notes:
  • Make sure to 'cook' egg yolks in separate bowl to pour back into saucepan.  Skipping this step may leave you with cooked chunks of egg yolk in your pudding!
  • It is enjoyable both hot and cold from the fridge!
  • Whip up some heavy whipping cream to plop on top of the pudding! So good! The chocolate pudding can be a little rich, so it provides a nice contrast. 
  • To make vanilla pudding instead, reduce sugar to 1/3 cup and do not add the cocoa.  Vanilla pudding!

See you in the kitchen!

Katie

2 comments: